Sunday, September 8, 2013

Homemade Baked Beans with Crock Pot Roasted Chicken



Homemade Baked Beans with Crock Pot Roasted Chicken......awesome and easy!!

This was my first attempt at making baked beans from scratch, normally I'm a Bush's kind of girl ;)

HomeMade Baked Beans
1 lb dry beans ( I used black eyed peas but you could use kidney, pinto, great northern, etc)
2 c. Packed Brown Sugar
1 C. BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays Honey)
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 TBS yellow mustard
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
½ C Ketchup
Splash of Green Tabasco

Soak beans over night. In the morning, drain and rinse. Put in pan with JUST enough water to cover, stir in all ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring frequently for about 25 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for about 6 hours. More water can be added if they start to look too dry, you want them to be thick but the beans will need the liquid so just sort of use your own judgment.
NOW, in hindsight, I really wish I would have used a different type of beans. The flavor was really good, but I didn’t really care for the texture of the black eyed peas. Maybe if I would have let them cook another hour or so, but, you know how it goes when it’s dinner time and the family doesn’t want to wait! LOL! Also, these are pretty sweet, which is how I like them, but, you could always reduce the amount of sugar to suit your own taste.  They were a hit, but I think they would have been a MEGAhit with a different bean. Next time I’m going to try great northern or pinto I think J

Crock Pot Roasted Chicken
The easiest roasted chicken you will ever make!!

Spray inside of crock pot with cooking spray, place a whole chicken inside, sprinkle with salt and pepper…………..DO NOT ADD LIQUID, it will make it’s own! Let cook on low for about 6-7 hrs or high for 4-5. PERFECT!

No comments:

Post a Comment